Grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenboy43, Apr 11, 2017.

1. chickenboy43

chickenboy43 New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    I have a few chicks almost a week old, and was wondering if and when to introduce some type of grit? If so whay type is best for chicks, and is there a different type for when their very older?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I use Gran-I-Grit (mainly because I'm less than an hour from the quarry. Also a 50lb bag costs less than what most retailers sell small bags for - around $6 gran-i-grit). They make developed stages (Starter/Grower/Adult) and I use them accordingly for the most part. That being said, when I say 'use' - I offer it in the run, I also allow my birds to free range so I'm sure they gather whatever and whenever.

Most places sell a chick grit. Offer it in small batches or they'll eat it like food. Plenty of posts around with chicks going nuts on grit and having issues from it.

4. chickenboy43

chickenboy43 New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Ok thank you so much. I have them on a starter/grower feed at the moment.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I am not sure how most people do it, but I remember Murray McMurray years ago suggesting starting chicks on grit at 2 days old. They said to sprinkle on their food like you are salting it. It has always worked for me. I like to give them grit in case they eat any bedding or something else other than starter. My chick grit is 24 years old, so you don't use much! Good luck.

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We usually buy our grit at TSC, it comes is 2 sizes, Chick Grit (small bits) and Poultry Grit (larger bits). We started them on the small size they progressed to the larger as they grew.

I don't exactly remember, but I want to say we started them on grit around 1 week old as we started to introduce a little lettuce, then around 3 weeks put them outdoors in the grass on a sunny, warm day. I just made it available in a little cat food can.

The coop has a dispenser for grit & oyster shell.

7. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also introduce the chicks to a clod of grass with the outside dirt still attached...the dirt serves as a bit of grit (not a replacement) and it "inoculates" the chicks to what will be their eventual environment. I think it is @lazy gardener who uses about a plate sized piece...sme dandelion greens might be interesting to the chicks as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by