Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UrbanPolish, Apr 18, 2009.

1. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    If I feed my chicks some crumbled up egg yolk from a boiled egg, will they need grit? The only thing I've ever fed any of my chicks is chick starter.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    They will probably be just fine but I generally make sure they have grit anytime I feed anything except yogurt type stuff.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I didn't offer grit with hard boiled eggs or yogurt, just anything that would need alot of grinding to digest.
    P.S. You can give them the egg white too. They have a blast playing keepaway with it.

4. LightenUp

LightenUp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Laketown, Utah
    I am feeding my five-day old chicks with a medicated chick starter from Intermountain Farmers Assoc. in SLC, Ut.
    I was thinking of giving them some crushed up cheerios. Do I need to give them some type of grit?
    If I look at the ingredients on the label, what would a grit ingredient be?
    Thanks!
    Robin

5. Fairfieldchick

Fairfieldchick New Egg

Mar 20, 2009
    Fairfield, CT
    I gave my week-10 day old chicks a few worms from our yard. It was totally hysterical watching them run around and grab the worms from each other. Can I feed them the worms without adding any grit?
    The girls are getting so big so fast; I am afraid I am starting to think they are older than they really are. (this is my first flock!)
    Any advice about feeding them treats like yogurt or hard-boiled eggs is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

6. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks for the answers. I had wondered about the white of the boiled egg, but I wasn't sure.

I don't know about the cheerios and stuff though... If I'm right, I think all chicks and chickens need grit, but chicks kept in a brooder have to be given grit, right? Grown chickens kept in the yard get their grit from, well, the yard. Again, I believe.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Correct. I don't offer grit to my adult chickens because they free range and find plenty on their own.

8. cluckylisa

cluckylisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Central Minnesota
    I gave our 1 week-old chicks grit today as we also had dug up a couple worms from the garden for them. I just took a little sand box sand that was a good mix of small pebbles and sand and put that in a clean tuna can. DH then put the worms in and it was interesting to see them all go for the grit first, then and about 5 minutes later they started having a ball with the worms. No one was interested in the worms until they all had their grit. It was as if they totally knew just what they needed, when it was needed. Really cool to see them do that.

9. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Same here. I tried to offer the girls some treats (other than their starter)when they were about 10 days old, and they were totally disinterested. Gave them the same thing a day later, after giving them grit, and they gobbled up everything I gave them and looked up at me for more.

Smart girls!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

10. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    So far, my chickies favorite treat is mealworms. They have free choice of grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by