Grit???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kittyariel, Apr 20, 2009.

1. kittyariel

kittyariel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    taft TN
    So yesterday when I got my girls at TS all they had were big bags of oyster shell grit. I didnt get any because I figure they are way to little for the size of it. What should I get for them, maybe parakeet grit? I got up in the night to check on them because they were so quiet and they were snoozing like little angels![​IMG]

Thanks a bunch!!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I didnt give mine grit til about week two... Thats when they started getting treats... I bought Canary grit from the pet store ... Its really small.... I have heard not to get it with calcium added though, theyre lil bodies can't break it down... I think [​IMG] They do look super cute when they are sleeping ....

3. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    My TS sells "Chick" grit - much smaller than regular, but they seem to sell out fast. Just ask yours if they carry it or can get it if that's easier for you than looking for parakeet grit.

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    My chicks are about a week old and I got them parakeet grit at Petsmart for around $2. I also bought them 25 crickets which they gobbled right up, lol!

5. kittyariel

kittyariel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    taft TN
    Thanks, I will head for Petsmart, TS didnt have any pine shavings either so I shredded up newspaper for last night. I think tey are about a week old, I can see the beginning of a tail feather and their little wings are turning to feathers.[​IMG]

6. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    yep i gave mine grit at 2 weeks to help with pasty butt

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Pasty butt is mostly due to chilling and stress in shipment or handling, and soy based feed fed too soon. I work them into soy feeds slowly. In fact, they get no prepared feeds for the first 5 days or so. If you are seeing pasty butt in older chicks, then something else is wrong.

Chicks dont normally need grit, anyway. Grit is needed in older birds to grind grain and seeds in the crop, or gizzard. If you dont give such things to chicks, then there is little need of it.

A good age-appropriate ration fed properly will give them what they need. Avoid all the "treats" and the desire to pamper them with everything under the sun and you will solve a lot of problems. Apply the KISS principle whenever possible.

I don't give grit, in fact, until they begin to lay - then it is OS for egg shell strength. Once a bird has access to outdoors and the dirt, they get what they need in the way of gizzard grit themselves.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  8. Sallyschickens

Sallyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
    Quote:Thanks David!

Good information. It answered a lot of my lingering questions resulting from the fact that the feed store gave me chick grit when I wanted chicken grit.

My birds are in a 20x20 outdoor run (in coop at night) and they have access to dirt, stones etc. I also provide O.S. grit for shell strengh. I was worried that they needed "granite" grit, do you think they are covered...enough grit that is?

Sally

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There's grit then there's oyster shell. My own feedstore sells calcium in bags and calls it 'grit'.[​IMG] Grit is for grinding food and oyster shell is for calcium for eggshell strength. Oyster shell may have some grinding properties, but it isn't to be given to birds who are not laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by