1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dinkadoo, May 5, 2009.

1. Dinkadoo

Dinkadoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have 8 golden comet pullets that are 2 1/2 weeks old. They are the sweetest chicks. This is my first time with raising chickens but am head over heels in love with my girls. Do chicks need a different kind of grit than grown chickens? If i give them worms do they need grit?? [​IMG]

2. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    Hi! I bought "chick grit" (not "chicken grit") at Tractor Supply when I started giving my girls treats other than the starter food. I've seen posts on this site that says parakeet grit, found at most pet stores and box stores, is as small as the chick grit. Just do a search and you'll pull the info up.

Gail

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yes, they should have grit. I use the small bird grit you can get at Walmart. The non-calcium kind is good until they start laying. They need grit to help digest their food. If you are taking them outside for some play time, they should get some grit (small rocks, etc.) as they pick and scratch around outside. If they are still in a brooder, you need to supply it.
    I sprinkle it on their food as if it were salt.
    Good luck and enjoy your new babies. I have 14 right now and I love them to bits too.

4. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] you are going to be so happy you're here, everyone is so helpful and you are going to learn all you need to about your chicks and how to care for them!!!

5. Dinkadoo

Dinkadoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    thank you all so much, i have been on this site for several months getting ready for my girls and i just love this site. I have learned so much from it. [​IMG]

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Chicken grit is about the size of aquarium pebbles

Chick grit is about the size of breakfast grits

You can use any granite that is approximately the right size, from your driveway, for pet birds, or from TSC.
    Chick grit from TSC has some calcium in it but it IS designed for chicks. Don't buy any that specifically says "high calcium" or "calcium fortified" on the front.

7. tillergirl

tillergirl Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Hi I am also new to keeping chicks. mine are nearly 2 weeks old now and will be moving them from their box into their coop this afternoon.
    They will have a secure run and once big enough will also be free to roam the gasrden as they please. Their run has gravel down rather than wood chip will this help with the grit issue once I let them out later in the week?

8. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

So chick starter is not enough? Supplement with grit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by