grit?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Oct 17, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    so ducks need grit as it helps them grind the food in their gizzards but how do they get it? do you just mix it in with their food for them or just leave it for them to get as they want, i know hens need that special oyster shell thing but im just talking about normal grit here, its actually for new born duckling which have not even hatched yet lol, my book says that ducklings do need grit but doesnt say how to give it to them?? also does it have to be a special type of grit or can i just use the grit for chickens/chicks because ive already seen that somewhere is that OK for ducks?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    there is info on grit on the ultimate list of duck treats (link is in my signature). Under supplements is a whole section on grit.

3. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:thanks i love that thread! and this might sound dumb but is there only one type of grit? the pet store near me sells normal grit, should i just get that? I just wanna make sure i get the right thing

ps... when the females start laying i will need to buy some oyster shell grit thats different to normal grit??

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:thanks i love that thread! and this might sound dumb but is there only one type of grit? the pet store near me sells normal grit, should i just get that? I just wanna make sure i get the right thing

ps... when the females start laying i will need to buy some oyster shell grit thats different to normal grit??

Yep Grit's job is to stay in the gizzard to grind up food (replaces the teeth that they don't have. there are different kinds of grit and different sizes 'chick grit' is the smallest and that is what the pet store probably has, to use with cage birds. (don't buy the stones that they sell for fish tanks) Turkey and goose size grit is about 1/4 inch gravel.
    Oyster shell is NOT grit it will be broken down in the bird for the Calcium they need to produce egg shells.

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009

Yep Grit's job is to stay in the gizzard to grind up food (replaces the teeth that they don't have. there are different kinds of grit and different sizes 'chick grit' is the smallest and that is what the pet store probably has, to use with cage birds. (don't buy the stones that they sell for fish tanks) Turkey and goose size grit is about 1/4 inch gravel.
    Oyster shell is NOT grit it will be broken down in the bird for the Calcium they need to produce egg shells.

yeah the grit for cage birds is what the store has is for cage birds so is that the one to buy? also... should i mix it with their food or give it seperate? im soo confused! do they even need grit when they are on starter crumbs?

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Yep Grit's job is to stay in the gizzard to grind up food (replaces the teeth that they don't have. there are different kinds of grit and different sizes 'chick grit' is the smallest and that is what the pet store probably has, to use with cage birds. (don't buy the stones that they sell for fish tanks) Turkey and goose size grit is about 1/4 inch gravel.

yeah the grit for cage birds is what the store has is for cage birds so is that the one to buy? also... should i mix it with their food or give it seperate? im soo confused! do they even need grit when they are on starter crumbs?

If the cage bird is what you can get it will probably do the job if you stick to feed. Ask at your feed store if they have poultry grit, you might as well ask if they have oyster shell at the same time. some places will sell either or both by the pound or have smaller containers so you don't have to buy 50 pound bags. They can get along without grit if you only feed milled feed but if you want to give them treats or grain they will need grit to help digest them.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i get pigeon grit usually, or they sometimes have chicken grit in 5lb yellow zip top looking bags... It's not as big as goose grit, like little pebbles. maybe the size of rice grains or a little bigger? I mix it in with my duck's feed, since my ducks do not forage as often
    (they are indoor pets). I mix about a quarter cup in with 5lbs of feed. You can also mix in oyster shells, but onyl if you have all girls, otherwise offer it separate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by