grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shoodakooda, May 14, 2010.

1. shoodakooda

shoodakooda New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Hi! Proud new owner of 7 almost 3 wk old RIR's. Just started giving them treats. how often should they have grit? free choice?
    Thanks!
    PS I am in love with my chicks!

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi...my 12 are rir's and in with 3 isa browns that are a week younger.I just started giving mine grit and they are 4 weeks.I read that if you start giving them more than just the chick starter they need it.I couldn't resist giving them treats so I started the grit yesterday.They seem ok this morning,they are all chattering away!

3. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm a newbie, do you just sprinkle the grit on their starter and if so, how much; or do you set out a seperate dish with the grit in it?

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I'm a newbie too but I put some in the starter and sprinkled some to "scratch" for.They like doing that [​IMG]

5. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    I just use coarse sand in their 'dust-bath' bin and they eat at that when they need grit.

Of course, after their dust-baths they've shaken grit everywhere, so they scratch for it too.

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Ohio, Shoodakooka, I started my first batch of peeps last June. Offered grit that I purchaced from a pet store when they were 4 weeks old.[​IMG] "Better safe than sorry", I figured. Also, I took them outside daily for a few hours of free-range time under our constant supervision. I just had to play mama hen, poking and scratching my finger at the ground & telling them peeps "Get the bug!" They really got the idea quickly! By dusk, they were tired and ready to head inside. we established the evening round-ups easily.Always tempting them "home" with some chow, of course. Food seems to make chicken handling easier, since they are ready to munch almost 24/7[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I started giving ours grit at about 2 weeks old...sprinkle it on food to start, then gave it to them in a bowl, I freaked out because their crops were HUGE!!! thought they were impacted! everyone here reassured me they were fine and they were!! I use construction sand, it is cheap not too fine and not treated and NO calcium!

They get treats...apples, frozen cherries, rice, flaxseed, wheat germ, steel cut oats and yogurt!
    They eat out of my hand a LOT even when I put my hand in with no treats they come running to my hand. Have fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by