grit???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ikatiemay, Dec 4, 2010.

1. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    Hi all,[​IMG] wow I am on a high this week!! I got my first egg, a nice green one and the next day a brown one. My question is actually how do I feed grit and what is it? I figure when they can free range some each day they handle that themselves but now that we have snow on the ground they dont go out much. What do i buy and how do I feed it?

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I just scrape up a bowlful of dirt with tiny rocks, if the chickens can't go out. It depends on your soil, of course...

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I just feed grit I buy at TSC or the local feed store. Here is the feeder I built for both grit & oyster shell. They don't eat much of it, but they'll get it if they need it.
    [​IMG]

4. ikatiemay

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    Ya our ground is frozen this time of year! I was thinking about play sand we can buy at the local home depot. do you think that would work or does it have to have different sized particles in it? I havent found grit at the feed store.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I grew up in Utah...seems there were rocks everywhere.... but yeah, if it's frozen? Hmm... I'd check with the IFA... they have to have calcium that comes as small rocks.

6. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    TSC has it. I just toss it in the run. They will find it. In summer when they are out more I need to add any cuz my local feed store makes my feed and it has it in there already.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    TSC has grit. You can get it at almost any feed store. I offer crushed oyster shells as grit. If they're 100% free range, then they don't need grit, but otherwise feed it. You can also find crushed oyster shells at home depot. Or at least at mine.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I'll toss a handful of it on the coop floor every once in a while during the winter. Gives them something to do to find it. At this rate a 50lb bag lasts a long,long time.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  10. ikatiemay

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    thanks everyone, that helped me alot. I do feed oyster shells for the eggs didnt know if they needed anything besides that. I think the quickcrete sounds great and cheap!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by