Grit ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cozycrestmom, Jan 15, 2011.

1. cozycrestmom

cozycrestmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Hi folks, Stupid question...lol
    My girls have been confind to their coop and their 16x24 run... Now that that the ground is frozen and snow covered.. How do I introduce them to grit. I hear that they need it some.. I give them layer pellets that I purchase at our local feed store, the get crushed oyster shells occ. and at times they get some bird seed to pick out when they go out in the morning... is there a special way to give them the grit or do I just sprinkle them out like I do the bird feed treats..?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I put it out in a bowl for them free choice. If they need some, they take it - if not, they ignore it. They won't consider it a "treat" but will use it on an as-needed basis.

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    We put some sand in a basin in the covered pen so that they can take a dust bath when they want. (it's sand from the area where they used to take their dirt/dust baths before it snowed).

So, will they eat some of that for their grit? or do I need to give them something different??

4. Claudias Coop

Claudias Coop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Mine are also confined. I am feeding crumbles & oyster shell. This morning was oatmeal & mashed banana
    But I haven't added grit or scratch.
    One is laying daily eggs, one is not laying
    Leghorn & Amerucana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by