1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fratmor, Jan 21, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    I've been using play ground sand for grit is that to fine and if so who sells grit.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Sounds like it would be too small to be grit but I have never tried that. I use grit from tractor supply company. I'm sure feed stores sell it too.

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Using playground sand is fine when using for your 1 week old chicks. As they get older, they need access to bigger grit. Go to your local feed store and they should offer grit in medium and/or large size for your adult birds. This will be about the size of aquarium gravel.

4. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I personally do not offer grit. I find that it is one of those unnecessary things. If you've ever seen/felt the inside of a bird's gizzard, that lining feels like sharkskin...it's amazingly tough stuff. Of course, once the chickens are out of doors, they will pick up their own grit in the form of sand and small stones. The only thing along those lines that I occasionally offer the chickens is oystershell pieces a couple of times a month or so, but that's for my layers. :0)

5. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    thanks I didn't realize they needed such large grit , thats why they are always digging large holes.do they pass the large grit or does it stay in the gizzard?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Chickens dig large holes when they take dust baths too. I never really thought about how grit comes out or if it stays in the gizzard.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Grit eventually breaks down and they need to get more to continue to grind their food appropriately. During winter here, we have to offer grit as our ground is frozen solid and the birds would not have access to it otherwise. In the summer, they should get enough during free range to gather their own.

8. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Quote:Have any of your chickens asked you for some Pepto Bismal? [​IMG]

9. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    [​IMG]

10. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Nope, not yet! [​IMG]

I just have not found it necessary to add it when raising baby chicks because I feed them a pelleted starter only until they are old enough to go out of doors.

But, I also have had parrots/exotic birds most of my life and have never offered it. They eat a seed/pellet diet as well as leafy greens/fruits and they are healthy and thriving.

Sorry, I guess I'm missing the Pepto Bismol thing!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by