1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AutumnDreamer, May 18, 2011.

1. AutumnDreamer

AutumnDreamer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    My babies are 4 weeks old and now outside, I need to start giving them grit, can I just spread it on the ground or does it need to be in a container of some sort?

2. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    So long as they eat it, it doesn't matter. If you let them free range or have sand in your coop, you might not even need to provide them with grit (as i understand it, they won't need grit it if all they will be eating is feed).

3. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I would store it in a container that they can't knock over, because that is really the way to have less waste. I've seen sand used as a subsitite, but if they are outside they need either sand or grit. I've found that they only eat as much as they need.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The need for grit is dependant upon what you are feeding your chicks. As long as they are eating nothing but chick starter it's not an issue. However, if you are giving them anything else, greens included, they are going to need grit. Personally I always use chick grit with a mixed right in with the starter crumbles in the chick feeder. It's a convenient way to dispense it without any waste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by