Grit!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick1043, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    How many of you here use grit? Is it something chickens like "need"? Or will they be fine without it?

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

It depends on if and how much free ranging they get. If they get none, they need some grit. What you're feeding them also has something to do with it.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I give cherrystone grit size #3 to my LF and #2 to my bantams. If you are feeding anything other than cracked grains (or pellets etc.) then you need to make sure they are free ranging with access to grit or give them grit. Otherwise they cannot digest properly.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Come winter if you get a real winter they'll need grit supplement. It's a simple as going to a crushed stone yard and getting a small pail full of #4 stone. Passes through 1/4 inch screen to retain on #4 screen. Or rake some up from the road shoulder [​IMG]

If you don't provide grit they'll consume far more feed as it's their primary digestive system and will pass through much undigested feed as waste. Birds eat small stone (angular is better) to grind food in crop before it goes to stomach. To not have it is like us eating without teeth.

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    My chickens free range everyday for about an hour or two depending...This is my first year raising chickens and so far they're doing okay. I feed them corn scratch but when they are all 16 weeks+ I will feed them layer feed. I have chickens of all ages and not needing anymore! Already have 11! lol

6. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:I started with 4... now I have 29! lol [​IMG]

7. birdygal

birdygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Quote:Glad to know this. winter is coming fast. Thanks.[​IMG]

8. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks

I said no more than 6..... 15 later..... I need a bigger coop!

9. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho

I said no more than 6..... 15 later..... I need a bigger coop!

Haha!! Well...That could be me but I don't think I could get any more! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by