Grits??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mbshan08, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mbshan08

mbshan08 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    WV
    My baby peeps will be 3 weeks this Sunday, when do i need to start giving them grits?

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Seen various opinions - starting at 2 wks is ok for all. Other sources say that as long as they are only eating commercially prepared feed, they don't need anything and only give if they are getting other "snacks" besides their feed (especially "scratch" and other grains)

Edited to add: you do mean "grit" like the tiny rocks chickens need to help grind up food - not grits like the cereal that people eat?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    The same time you start giving them ham hocks & collard greens.

4. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Finger lickin' good!

heheh, usually once you switch their food. chick starter is easily digestable so you don't need grit, but if you are giving them treats or other food types, then be sure to give them some grit too

5. mbshan08

mbshan08 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    WV
    How much do i give them at a time? and do i give it to them everyday or just a few times a week? They are 3 weeks, havent been let outside yet, but I'm planning this week to start them outside for alitle bit everyday.

6. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi im also newbee, my chicks are a month and a bit old, i am just giving them chick starter and a couple of mealworms when they have 'get to know me time' am i supposed to be feeding them grit because i am giving them mealworms??
    [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Now you gone and made me hungry.

Chris

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Edited to add: you do mean "grit" like the tiny rocks chickens need to help grind up food - not grits like the cereal that people eat?

CEREAL? Cereal? Grits ain't no cereal in the south. Hahaha, too funny, NYReds. And they say you have no sense of humor. Ha!

Grit is given anytime you give them anything other than their chick starter, anything that needs to be "chewed", so to speak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by