Gro-gel? Medicated or Non-medicated Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by latebloomer, Feb 17, 2011.

1. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    Hi. I'm new to this and poked through several pages and didn't see anything these topics.

Read about something called Gro-gel. It's supposed to minimize dehydration in chicks.
    Anyone know about it?
    Recommend it/avoid it?

What about medicated or non-medicated feed?

Or brand recommendations for feed?

2. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    I have never used grow-gel, but always felt like trying it. They (the chick catalogs) really seem to promote it. I'll be watching for replies too. [​IMG] I also have never used medicated feed for my chickens, I never had any problems with cocci ( I think that is what it is medicated for) I did think about getting it for the turkeys though, so again I'll hang out here with you and watch for replies, if you don't mind!

3. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    As for brand reccomendations I have to say I feed Nutrena brand because I dislike the feed store mixes and I have to drive 35 miles to one with cruddy stuff or over 45 to the other one which is slightly better. I just found comfort in feeding something that seems more consistantly uniform. Also there is a small outlet at the greenhouse in town 7 miles away that sells it and they give you $10 off for every 10 bags of Nutrena feed you buy, so the horses and sheep get it too. i will try it on my turkeys and broilers this year too. I will be buying close to 10 bags every month this summer, hope the greenhouse doesn't catch on and repeal their good deal!

4. beausonge

beausonge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA
    I opted for the Gro-gel for the chicks I got from McMurray. It is a hydrating gel that is supposed to counter any dehydration the chicks may have from transport. I think it helped our chicks. We lost so many in the first batch that I tried crumbled egg yolks with the replacement batch. This has been the biggest booster to them and they love it. All of my chicks were vaccinated for cocci and they are never supposed to have medicated feed. Apparently it will un-do the cocci vaccination. One thing I have been giving my chicks in their water is "Rooster Booster". It has vitamins and beneficial bacteria - what some people call probiotics. I feed Purina Chick feed and will change to an appropriate adult formula when the time comes. I have used Purina products with our horses and they have always been high quality feeds.

Hope that helps.

Vickie
    Kelso, WA.

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I use medicated for the first 50 lb bag they go through only because all the advice scared me into it as cocci of prevalent here in GA. Then I switch to my regular organic feed at about 6-7 weeks old.

Medicated I use A brand from the Feed and Seed near here...it's a green bag? Forget the name...mill something?

For regular feed I use ... Countryside organic ( broiler, layer and scratch)

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I used medicated for the first about 8 weeks then switch to a non medicated grower/finisher. I also for the first week add electrolyte/vitamins to their water. I have never lost a chick yet and have had a couple look like they wouldnt make it but did. I have never used the grow gel but I dont get shipped chicks either. I tried that route once last summer and the hot weather and shipping was too hard we lost all of them so now I either find local or hatch my own. I am also making a trip to cackle hatchery to see if I can get a few chickies to follow me home [​IMG]

7. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have used Gro-gel several times. I like it... the chicks seem to love it too. I put it on top of their feed so they start eating feed as soon as the gro-gel is gone. My feed store carries medicated Nutrena chick starter so that is what they get... no complaints. I use Layena once they start laying... they seem to do best on their formula... I've tried different brands and always end up back there.... I would use the Purina chick starter if I could find an outlet around here.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    First, "medicated" can mean different things. If it is medicated with amprolium, this is not an antibiotic. What it does is inhibit thiamine uptake in the cocci which then inhibits cocci growth in the chick, giving them time to develop their natural immunity. Cocci are a protozoa in the soil. They are much more prevalent in some areas than others. Some people have them so badly they have to treat for cocci despite feeding medicated feed. You county extension office should have info on this.

I use medicated (with amprolium) when they are young because it's what is available locally, and I suspect we have a fairly high infestation in this area. But I will not use anything but amprolium. Some feeds are medicated with an antibiotic, and some feed sources encourage you to buy an antibiotic and give it routinely along with unmedicated feed. This I would not do.

Gro-gel and other nutritional boosts are probably not necessary, and certainly gazillions of chicks have grown up healthy without such. I have never spent the money on them. On the other hand, if I had a weak shipment of day olds who had been in transit too long, or in bad weather, I would be glad to have something like this on hand. If you mail order chicks, you can also give them a bit of a boost by simply adding a small amount of sugar to their water for a day or so, or even a small amount of Gatorade or other electrolyte drink.

On brands, I don't have a lot of choices so don't pay attention to brands as such, only to things like protein content. I prefer a feed with animal protein in it as that is their natural diet. If it smells sweet when I open the bag, I'm good.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  9. bluere11e

bluere11e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    I live in South Florida. Lots of damp heat. Perfect climate for explosions of bacteria. I raise my chicks on Purina Start and Gro medicated for the first 8 weeks. Then they're on Flockraiser with some wild birdseed mixed in until 20 weeks, plus free ranging grass and bugs and weeds and table scraps. Then they are switched to a small amount of daily Layena (These applies to my Layer chicks) My chickens get a majority of vegetables and fruit and fresh grass clippings (by hand.. usually rye grass and hard winter wheat grass that I grow my self as a winter lawn covering when native grass dies back for the winter) Plus the occasional left overs from the kitchen that includes whole grain bread pieces and some multi grain pastas. I have a flock of 25 hens and 3 roosters. together with all of the extras, I might feed 3 pounds of Layena a day for all of them and usually, there's plenty left over.
    I have 2 concerns with commercial feed though. One is the over medicating of livestock leading to resistant bacteria, in turn affecting humans in the long run, compounded daily. The other is the use of GMO grain in the feed. It's designed to produce it's own resistance to pests ( i.e. produces it's own pesticide..poison) and be resistant to the use of strong weedkillers, especially round-up.. which points to the fact that a LOT of BAD chemicals are used on our food source. Not so good. That in turn is passed down through the eggs.[​IMG]
    It's important to start your birds right. AND, keep them healthy along the way. I try to limit the amount of commercial feed as possible and utilize as much as I can grow myself..I recently decided this last year when it seemed that it took longer and longer for my girls to come out of their moults and start to lay again. The eggs weren't as tasty, shells weren't as hard, egg laying was sporadic and my girls just weren't healthy looking. [​IMG]
    It seems as soon as I changed them to the much more natural diet and included wild bird seed with minimal corn (mostly sorghum/milo..millet, wheat and black oil sunflower seeds they turned around in a hurry..

10. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Hi! just curious how much property do you have? Or rather how much do you devote to growing the stuff you feed? I have been thinking about doing this myself but am concerned about how much space is required--- and about harvesting it--- I would have to do that because I live up north. This past summer when my husband would cut the field in front of our barn (about 1/2 an acre) I started drying the grass (prairie grasses) and storing it to use in the runs during snowy weather... the first "bale" I opened the chickens thought they were in heaven and so did I... sweet smelling grass.... like it was just cut! They picked at the clover and leafy stuff so it got me thinking. I probably have a total of 1 acre scattered about in different plots that I could dedicate to this if it is workable. I would love to let them free range but we have a serious hawk problem... and two dogs that hunt small creatures... so they are in large covered runs and I hand feed all the greens and seeds they get. I was just looking through a catalogue for forage seeds.... I am really tempted if I could actually cut down on what I have to buy... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by