Gro-gel?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cara, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I am wondering whether anyone uses/recommends Gro-gel, and where it can be bought from without excessive shipping and chicks. Ideal sell it but they want $7 for shipping a $4 product. I don't think so! I was thinking it might be useful to have when my own chicks start hatching, since they won't all be perfect the first few times.

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Check ou feed store ours sell Booster Pack to be added to thier water. May be listed as vitamin pack,electrolite pack etc....

3. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    We just give ours chick starter grower and you can almost watch them grow, Spend less enjoy More !

4. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I think i'll do that. With the last 3 batches of chicks i've had I fed them some of their chick crumbles with a little warm water and some sugar, and i've only lost one when it arrived. There's probably no sense in trying to fix what isn't broken. I just have this image in my head of my first hatch all having one leg and 3 eyes.

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    You know, Ive used sugar water, gro-gel, electrolytes, yougurt, in all sorts of combinations, moist food and dry but the best thing is adding ACV with mother. Hands down, no competition. About ten years of experience.

I tried Gro-gel b/c it is a neat idea, but difficult to work with. Chicks dont' like the sensation of having stuff stuck to their beaks, so they don't eat it very well. My guineas liked it way better than the chicks did. I mixed it with very little water and smeared it onto clean areas of the towels in the brooder. Kind of like spreading jelly really thin, that way it was so thin that it had less of a chance to get stuck on their beaks. I tried to make it crumble with little success.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  6. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    ACV?

7. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Yes do a search on it on this site. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with 'mother of vinegar' in it - it looks like particles that make the ACV look cloudy. Anyway add some to the waterers I think it's one tablespoon per gallon. When I use it the chicks do not have poopy butts or loose poos. [​IMG]

8. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I swear by ACV with mother. It is a wonderful thing. I add 1 TBLE. per each gallon of water and my chickens and chicks are healthy. Also if you add some to whatever you're cooking, it helps with upset stomach due to greasy foods as well as heartburn. My hubby's tummy is a testement to this. He has the Gulf War Syndrome so his stomach can't handle much as far as grease goes. It's amazing stuff. I don't add a whole lot, just what I think is enough. You don't want people to taste it in chili or spaghetti. Just a dab in meatloaf as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by