grocery bill, OMG!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by key west chick, Feb 23, 2009.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Ok, so I know I don't watch every dime but I decided to actually itemize my bank statement this month. I spent nearly $600 on groceries!! I just about crapped! Thats for 1 month for basically just our 13 year old son and me. DH buys his own! Can we say, serious budget time! I all ready buy store brands, shop for specials, buy 1 get 1 free and stuff like that. I have all the store cards to help save also. I know I spend way to much on junk. Chips and ice cream are gonna need thinning out. We have a Sam's card and use that for cleaning supplies, paper products, and bulk foods. I would use coupons but we don't get the paper. Anywhere else I can get coupons? Now with the roomie gone, I can freeze more leftovers for later. I try to make meals stretch. Anyone have any words of wisdom? I even looked into our Angel food ministeries but we wouldn't eat some of the stuff and feel like it might be a waste. I can't do without my chocolate, please help!!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    wow that IS a lot! LOL We spend 230 every two weeks but that's including laundry soap, paper towel, toilet paper etc... I should really sit down and see what we spend JUST on groceries. I know we do use about 20 extra on top of that to eat out once every paycheck too.

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    $600 !!!??? WOW!! ..............I am speachless!........ WOW!!

4. $600 is INSANE for 2 PEOPLE! What are you eating Caviar and Lobster?

I have a family of 5 who eat VERY WELL on $400 a month. We spend alot of money on fresh produce and meat. We buy snacks and junky foods once a month and that's all we get.

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yup, almost $600. Just about wee-weed my britches. And it seems like we never have anything to eat.[​IMG]

6. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I spend about $850 a month that is for me,my husband and 4 kids...And a couple bags of carrots for the rabbits [​IMG]

Not to mention we eat out atleast once a day!!!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I spend atleast 600 a month on grocerys here in mass for 4 adults 2 kids and everything I buy is on sale. groceries are cheaper in Georgia too. Of course I always have some stuff stocked up from sales. Ice cream gets expensive I will only buy if its 3 bucks or less. check sales at more than 1 store if you shop at 1 store you will never do as well as going to a few. the premaid frozen stuff is almost never a good deal.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    sounds to me like you need to start cooking from scratch more, and leave the can opener in the drawer. Been there, done that. I used to blame it on being "too busy" but you have to work more hours to buy that stuff, plus what all goes in the landfill and the high sodium, high saturated fat, preservatives, and it just tastes "made" by someone else. Get back to basics is all I can say. Plant a garden, plan your meals better, sharpen your pencil and sit down with your kid. Make it his math problem for a week. Give him $100, (on paper) have him pick the meals, price the ingredients and he gets to keep the change. If THAT don't get his eyballs and brain both facing the same direction, I don't know what will.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Not to mention we eat out atleast once a day!!!!

[​IMG] Once a DAY? For that many people? WOW That must be a lot of money. I know with just the three of us eating out it's sometimes reaches over 20 bucks!​

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Key west...do you have an ALDI's where you live? they have super cheap food there. And they now take debit cards [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by