Grocery Store Bought eggs fertile?

They have to be labeled "fertile eggs" at the grocery store usually to be fertile. Even then, they might not be fertile or fresh enough to develop. When we incubated a variety of store eggs last spring, the ones from Whole Foods Labeled fertile appeared not to actually be fertile. Also, the hens are not fed diets intended for the eggs to develop into healthy chicks, so a lot of the eggs might stop developing at some point in incubation prior to hatching.

Last edited:
I would suggest trying to get some local eggs or some from this board. This will be giving you a better idea of how the incubator is doing.

Best luck and happy hatching! May you have as many joys as I have in hatching!

Have a blessed one!

they might be, then again might not.
My DDIL will never buy store bought again. She bought 5 doz from a large National Chain store, when she was making breakfast one morning she broke the eggs into her hot skillet and there laid 3 fully formed chicks. She threw the rest out without even checking them.

Now she will only get eggs from me. lol

I had good luck with Farmer's Pride fertile eggs (found at the only organic store in my area). I had 8 out of 12 develop and might have had more but there was a hot zone in my incubator (was a test run).

That might have been my thread. I posted up my pics, shared some stuff, and talked about the result. I was hoping it would help/inspire people trying to setup their own home laying flock cheaply AND try their hand at building their own incubators.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom