1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grocery Store Goose

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Godsgrl, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I happened to be in a grocery the other day, and saw duck and goose for sale. Dh and I have never had goose, and have discussed wanting to try some. I about choked when I saw the price, $72.00 a goose!!! The duck was only $7.00. Why is goose so expensive? I know it's rather a rare meat to find in stores, but that is ridiculous.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Really don't have an answer but I work in the meat dept. in a store and for the geese we had were about $60 and weighed maybe 6 to 7lbs. Ducks were about $12 to $14 range. Your reaction about sums up what everyone does but didn't stop them from buying it though.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I will have to agree with you in that it is rare and maybe that's why it is more expensive. It's the same way in my area. I am always amazed when I see a goose in the frozen section, so I always take a pic.

Grocery Store Goose
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grocery Store Duck
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    THey run 60-65$ in our commi and about 9-12$ for ducks. I should have taken pictures of the frozen silkie chicken in our local asian market.(11$)

5. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

a 2 pound rabbit fetches about 12 bucks here, just about as expensive per pound

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    SEVENTY TWO DOLLARS $$$$$ for a GOOSE??????? Sheesh! I'm going to the city pond and goose-napping tomorrow night's supper!!!!! [​IMG]

7. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Baymule..............[​IMG]

8. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    around here lamb is $50-70.00 for ONE part of a leg of lamb!!!!!!! I told my mom........................ give me $50.00 more and I can raise a WHOLE lamb for next to nothing!!!! AND we get more than just the leg!!!

9. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I failed to mention that the geese and ducks are frozen. the price would be a little more palatable for the goose was fresh.

10. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Goose is a favorite of ours so I usually buy it a couple of times a year. Happened to have one in the freezer that I just bought last week and it was a bit over 12 lbs and cost $6.69 per pound making it $80.61. This is a free range young goose and we really do enjoy them. I prepare them by putting them on a rotteserie for at least 6-7 hours. That way all the fat drips off and I usually get at least a quart of pure, white fat that I use for other cooking. During the summer when I am at my home in upstate NY I dont buy goose, but just shoot a canadian goos right on my property and it is certainly as good as the store bought but a bit more work in the cleaning and preparing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by