Grocery Store Produce?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 19disbre, Feb 28, 2015.

1. 19disbre

19disbre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Today well I was working I was thinking about taking home some off the extra garbage produce for chickens? Is this a good idea? This would include a lot of things apples, bananas, tomatoes, oranges, lettuce can I feed all of this to chickens? PS this is all stuff that cannot be sold like moldy or old produce

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Pretty much but realize that you will need to balance their diets with it. Layers need around a 16% protein diet. You can achieve this by either by using a higher protein feed or adding cooked meat, fish or eggs with it. Also if they are confined, you'll want to provide grit. And you're layers will need to be offered more calcium.

3. 19disbre

Jan 26, 2015
    Ohh I should add that these will be meat birds that can free range and will be fed a normal food

4. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Then the extra protein will be a must, along with the grit. Not sure how much for meaties.

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Don't take this wrong but,
    Never feed chickens anything moldy. As a general rule, if you wouldn't eat it, don't feed it to them. They are not garbage disposals like some dogs or pigs. Citrus and avocado are not good for chickens either. Old but salvageable greens would be ok, they won't even eat some over ripe or rotting things anyway unless they are starving or something.
    Pick the very best of what the store tosses and judge it carefully. It's nice if you can save some of it. My son works at a large chain and they will not give anything to people for animals, the amount they toss is disgustingly wasteful so I understand what you are trying to do.[​IMG]

6. 19disbre

Jan 26, 2015
    Thanks, I would eat about 50% of this, I thought that chickens were smart enough that they would pick out what they should and should not eat which is why I was thinking I wouldn't have to worry, even if this is false probably 50% of this can still be used.

7. r-dale

r-dale Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Belize
    19, just get some pigs. Pigs are easier than chickens if you are doing it for meat, not breeding.

8. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I would stick to the 50% then and it shouldn't be more than 10% of a balanced diet. Generally they know what they can eat but not always. Think of them as children in that way so they are not harmed. I'm sure you've seen a dog or cat eat the wrong thing, get sick and vomit. Chickens can't do that so feed with care. [​IMG]

9. 19disbre

Jan 26, 2015
    I wish i could but thats kinda out of the question

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by