Grocery Store vs. You ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by creekrocket, May 16, 2011.

1. creekrocket

creekrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    Chicken, per pound at the grocery store vs. raising your own chickens(meat/layers)......does it equal out in the long run, or are you coming out of pocket more to raise them?

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You will want to read some of the recent posts. Maybe try under the meaties , I think I was reading one there yesterday. There are many factors to consider: tastiness, own labor v. paid labor, cost of feed etc. GL

3. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Stores will likely be cheaper.

BUT

You will know how your chickens were handled, fed, and cared for. They will be better tasting too.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:This.

5. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    There is no way you can compete with grocery store pricing, really. However, I have found that raising dual purpose birds really cuts down on the cost. First, they forage WAY better than the cornish, so even though you're feeding them twice as long you get more flavor and the extra feed isn't too bad. Second, I don't lose hardly any chicks. Third, I can hatch pullets and cockerels, raise them side by side, and keep only the best males and the rest go to freezer camp at about 16 weeks.

6. arthurpete

arthurpete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I would think you would want to compare apples to apples.

True pastured, organic - usually dont get one w/o the other, chickens run about 4.00/lb at the local groc, while traditional chicks are about 1.50/lb

I read a post in the meat section where one guy was coming up at roughly the same price as factory farmed but i dont recall him going the organic route.

Plus, your typicall "free ranged" eggs from the groc are not so free range, although it seems that they can get away with the added nutritional advertising that comes with "free range".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by