1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grocery stores reject produce

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Dec 13, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Anyone ever approached local grocery stores about the produce that they throw out every day? Figure they must have a lot of waste. I know some donate to food banks, but was wondering whether it would be an alternative to spending (too much) money on the prime stuff in the grocery store? Of course, I am kind of picky about what I feed "the babies", and they are even more picky than I am!

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Never thought about that! I do have friends/coworkers who save their produce for my girls! That would be a great source of extra veggies especially in the winter!

3. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I've heard of some people doing that for vermicomposting, but I can't recall for poultry. I'm sure it's done somewhere... you might try asking on the feeding your flock section of the forum. I know I have read a couple threads about growing your own feed over there.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Very few stores will allow anyone to take their discarded produce or any out of date item.

A few unreasonable lawsuits and everyone suffers as the stores must protect themselves from a legal standpoint.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    My family used to get all the veggie trimmings from a summer fruit stand for composting years ago. Didn't have any birds at the time but now that you mentioned it, I might try finding a store.
    Worst that they can say is no. I do know of a few stores locally that support the local community gardens donating their veggie trimmings for the compost pile there. Guess I will have to shop around and try to find one that is just throwing theirs out still. If you do find a place you think is good be sure to ask, then check yourself to make sure they don't mix all garage together. Lots of stuff from a regular store could hurt birds. I know we had to sort out twist ties, rubber bands and cardboard and all that they sold was produce.

6. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    We have a local independent produce store in my neighborhood. They have a bin where they put the "toss" items. Not always something worthwhile to bring home to the girls, but occasionally! Often has the rabe from the broccoli and such which is well received! Usually though it is bruised onions, etc. that I pass over. Never hurts to check, or ask!

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    One of our big local stores donates their unbought produce to a local park where there are a lot of domestic geese and ducks.

I have heard of another BYC member who gets produce from a store near her. But, I think it's a family owned store with people that she sorta knew.

8. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Another good source may be a local restaurant.
    I work at a restaurant & bring home A LOT of veggie scraps, strawberry ends, etc. year round & never make a dent in the amount of scrap we have (and where I work we use as close to everything as any I have worked at in 15 years) daily.

Many restaurants are very conscious of how the amount of food waste we discard effects the water tables in our communities, but few communities have programs to help. Most restaurants would LOVE to have someone come take their scraps. Honest.

A word of advice if you are going to approach a restaurant (and I HIGHLY recommend it) -
    DO NOT ASK DURING LUNCH OR DINNER.
    Ask after the busiest times of day. (I would shoot for 1:30-5:30.)
    Chefs are least grumpy between 1 & 5.

9. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We have actually asked about thrown out produce for the ducks and the answer was "No! Too much of a liability if we were to eat it and become ill."

10. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I get massive boxes of old/bruised produce from my local grocery store to feed the deer in back of my house. All I had to do was ask. However, I live in a very small community where everyone knows everyone, and we only have the one grocery store (I live on an island).

Honestly, I am too picky about what I feed my pets to give them that sort of thing, though the deer love the free produce that I get.

I buy bags of frozen corn and peas for my ducks, and lettuces when I can. Doesn't exactly break the bank. But then again, I am pretty free with the money when it comes to my pets... I spend exactly $36.99 a month on organic mealworms. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by