grogel question

doseybird

Hatching
Feb 26, 2022

doseybird

Hatching​

Feb 26, 2022100
I am brand new to chickens, they arrived in -6 degree weather. We thought 6 were dead but 5 were moving a bit. 2 hours after putting them in the brooder, they were all up and running around. I had read to give them grogel so I did, but did not research it. Last evening about 12 hours after arrives i noticed some of the chicks tilting backwards then catching themselves. Later they were found under the brooder light on their sides and a bit trampled. Since then (24 hours ago) about every 4 hours a few more chicks start teetering, then falling on their sides, and then die. We have lost 6 so far and at least 6 more. I am wondering if I overfed the grogel? I did not remove it after 6 hours, noticed it was dry, but wondering if this is whats killing my chicks. Any ideas will be appreciated and please be kind, I have been a chicken owner less than 48 hours.

Personally, I wouldn't add ACV to the water for chicks, it may not be that palatable and they may not drink it very well.

Try giving a little sugar water or water with electrolytes for a couple of days. The water can be cool.

We are all here to try to help offer suggestions. You're photos are always welcome if you have any you wish to share. Chicks, brooder set up, tell us what the temps are in the brooder under the heat and on the cool side. What you feed, etc. etc.
Sometimes we may be able to see something that can easily be changed or modified so you can be more successful in raising your chicks.
I remember my first batch of chicks and I was so nervous! I had read a lot for years prior, but I still had questions and concerns. Hopefully we can help alleviate some of the stress for you.

Back
Top Bottom