GroGel vs Chick starter? or same thing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FombellClucks, Mar 16, 2011.

1. FombellClucks

FombellClucks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    Hi all! I am new to this and have been spying on this site for a while now. Finally placed our eggs on March 6 and are doing the count down. I read for HOURS on how to incubate them and am happy to report I have seen "swimming" chicks in a few of the eggs I was brave enough to candle. I'm not brave enough to candle all the eggs just yet. Figured I would do that on day 18 and go from there.

So here's my question: After they are moved to the brooder (which is sitting and waiting for them) do I feed them the GroGel (flouresent green stuff) for the first 2 weeks then give the pelleted chick starter? And do I put the GroGel in the feeder with the mason jar or do I put it on a dish? I see a lot of posting about chick starter but I'm not sure what that's refering too. and when do I introduce grit? (I have all of these waiting on the little chicks)

Thanks for any help! And I enjoy all the wisdom everyone has and it has helped with many questions and fears I have had.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Gro Gel is not meant to be fed as their regular feed. If I'm not mistaken, it's just a supplement to get them started. I've never used that at all and I really don't think you need to.

3. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Gro Gel is to help attract them to the food, and give them a boost to replenish energy lost in shipping, usually. Honestly, mine refuse to take to it, but my hens LOVE it when they're big.
    I just put a dollop of it on top of the starter, so they can nibble at both, for the first day or two, then only chick starter. It shouldn't really be pellets as much as crumbles, either, so make sure you've got the right one! As for grit, I don't give mine any, they're free ranging as soon as they're feathered out, but they do just fine without until they're about 4 weeks, when they go out of the brood garage.

4. FombellClucks

FombellClucks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    Thank you so much for the info!! Here I was going to be feeding just Glowing Green stuff with no nutritional value..not good, not good!! And I bought the bag that said "Chick Starter" I guess saying crumbles IS a better way to describe it. Thanks also for the info on the grit. I guess I still have to keep reading posts to learn more before these chickies hatch. I am so nervous!! My boys will be so sad if I screw up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by