Grooming for Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicksgalore, Aug 10, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Do those of you with Silkies spend time "grooming" them? My chickens are free range a lot and I'm just wondering if this would be absolutely necessary (the grooming part)?

2. bkterry

bkterry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    Not necessaryif they free range, they will dust bathe and what not, but some people do groom them anyway. My silkies free range so they are not in tight dirty quarters, but when we had lost of silkie chicks in the brooder I did have to "bathe" them myself because they got so dirty. I just dipped their bodies in warm water and rubbed gently to get the grime off. My grandma used to raise silkies and enter them in the fair and she told me she would bathe and blow-dry her silkies before taking them to show. [​IMG]

3. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    Great! I have been debating and debating whether or not to order more chicks this year...I think I will just do it!

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Silkies do not need to be bathed. Unless you plan on bringing them to a show, they're perfectly fine as they are [​IMG]

5. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    I have 4 on order, scheduled to ship on 8/27...I can't wait to get them!

6. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    perfect timing for this thread!

I just bathed my silkies...for many reasons. My next question is what will happen if i shave/clip the feather foots?

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:They get shorter...LOL

8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

If you aren't showing your silkies you don't have to worry about it.

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I clip some of the fluff from around the eyes if they seem to have trouble seeing things. If I can't see their eyes, I figure they can't see me. They do come to my voice though.
    Yesterday I moved them to a new shady pen and found they are getting some sticks and cocklebur's in their foot feathers so I guess I need to trim up that area, too.
    But they are too cute with all the fluff! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by