Grooming- How do you get all those show chickens so beautiful?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by warmfuzzies, Feb 17, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Im not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I looked all over and could not find anything about this, so it is here.... [​IMG]

I see all these pictures of your beautiful birds. Even those of you who dont show seem to have gorgeous birds without broken feathers. Mine are all broken and sticking up on their backs and the hens dont look especially shiney or smooth.

I was going to post in one of the contests, but then I figured my chickens wouldnt have a chance....

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Pen all your show birds alone or let them free range. Overcrowding is rough on plumage.

3. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    See what I mean? These are Partridge Rock Hens. It is also windy, but their backs always look like this.

[​IMG]

4. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I have never bathed my birds... they are about 8 months old and they dont have any missing feathers. In fact for run of the mill hatchery birds I think "my girls" look fabulous.
    Do you have a roo that could be tearing up their backs?

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    ur roos r being to rough on ur girls but i have seen alot worse. my boys usually don't do that but a couple of hens who r favorites get barebacked like that. if u use what is called a chicken saddle u can put it on the girls and it will cover their backs to help protect them from the rooster spurs and claws.

6. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Oh, I think I know the problem. I have had 1 roo with 6 hens, and these definitely are the favorites. hehe [​IMG] And I just got an adolescent roo who is starting to figure out what to do.

So when I add more hens that should help?

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Your ratio should be evened out a bit more, yes. However, expect that the new additions will need to find their way in the pecking order somewhat BEFORE they find their way into your roos' hearts. If you want to protect the hens' backs, you should look into chicken saddles. I'm keeping my pullet with my whole flock, which has a poor ratio at the moment (3 roos to 10 hens!!!) and I noticed that her feathers were also starting to break. If I'm going to show anyone this summer, it would most likely be her. I have a pretty saddle on her and she has learned to like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I see, very interesting! But I wont be showing, I just wished they looked prettier...is it worth the trouble if your not showing? Could I just wait untill fall when I will be adding more pullets, and see if it gets better?

9. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Yes, you can, but it will probably get worse before it gets better ...

10. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Ok. Can I make one myself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by