Gross blood clot soft shelled egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charlene, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I thought my BR laid a soft shelled egg today. It would be her first. But on closer inspection it had a big blood clot in it, a little bigger than a normal yolk. It was firm and really gross. So gross, I forgot to take a pic.

She seems okay, is that the end of the story? It's been hot here the last week and she wasn't laying well. I don't have a rooster though I thought it looked like an embryo at first (but I think it can't be).

Any thoughts? Is this normal-ish? I am scared I'm going to open one of the regular eggs and find a big blood clot. Ugh, that would be really bad.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    For clarification: There was a big blood clot INSIDE a soft shelled or, or the egg ITSELF looked like a big blood clot?

3. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    There was a big blood clot inside the shoft shelled egg.

I just remembered that that chicken ate a baby mouse last week. That wouldn't be related, would it?

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Nope, that would be a whole different set of plumbing (mouse eaten).

Gosh, without a picture, it's VERY hard to tell what it may have been. If she lays another like it, get a few good pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by