Gross double-yolk (really gross)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GitaBooks, Sep 29, 2015.

1. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    So, one day, I found two green eggs, both double-yolks, in a nest. I don't know if they were laid on the same day or one day apart, but I think they both came from the same hen (poor girl!)

I was excited and decided to crack one open and see what the inside looked like. Good I hadn't tried to scramble them! [​IMG][​IMG]

What would cause this? Was she hemorrhaging? By the way, this was like a month ago, and she is doing fine.

[​IMG]

This is the bloody double-yolker and the non-bloody double-yolker, both found in the same nest
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Yeah, that can be a little off putting. I had it happen once with a newish layer, a little bantam. Hasn't happened again in 2 years, but I did crack all eggs in a bowl individually for a few weeks!

[​IMG]

I have read that it happens when a blood vessel breaks during the formation of the egg. Not very common.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thinks that's the worst I've seen, with the number of 'chunks'.
    Glad she's ok....
    ....and yes, caused by broken blood vessel when ova detaches from ovary and looks like some tissue also....or could be clotted blood.

4. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Thanks for the answers. That makes sense.

But it still gross. Lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by