1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gross finding in nest box. Gross pictures

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cbakerazle, Apr 23, 2008.

1. cbakerazle

cbakerazle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2008
    Azle, Tx
    :eek:
    I've seen gross egg pictures on this board, but this took me by surprise. It was like a blob with no shell. When I tried to scoop it out of the nest box it fell to the floor but was firm enough not to break open. I put it in a dog dish by using a stick. It wasn't runny at all, but like raw chicken meat all in a mass. The outer surface was rough like sandpaper gritty looking, but rubbery. It is really gross. Thank God it didn't smell.

I have no roosters so it can't be a partially formed chick. Besides it was just laid today, so it wasn't there long. What the heck could have happened. It looks like part of a chicken breast or thigh meat all mixed into a slime. Yuck!
    Thanks for advice.

Don't know if I am doing the pictures right but here goes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Stuff like that happens. Odd thing can be laid. Looks like just a chunk of tissue. I wouldn't worry.

3. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i dont know what in the world happened but i wouldnt eat it if i were you.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I've read on here that sometimes tissue can slough off the inside of the hen and get covered almost like an egg. maybe that's what it is????

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently had an 'egg' like that, it was from a 1 year old hen, 2 leathery membranes, white and yolk everywhere from one of them, then the attached 2nd "egg" had only a yolk in it. The next day she laid a normal egg. Your egg looks a lot firmer- either way, I had hens in the past and never knew of such an incident!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ewww, beefy! *gag*

8. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    *note to self. if title says gross pics don't open it while eating breakfast*

where's that hurl smiley?

10. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Don't know about it.........but I'm sure "Old Navy" would be proud! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by