Gross-Hens ate the fertile eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Summer98, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    I knew that after a week of one chick hatching, the remaining eggs must be bad. Also the broody hen was no longer consistently sitting on the remaining eggs, resulting in them getting cold. So I finally decided to give up on the remaining eggs and crack them into my compost pile. Two of the eggs had a blood vessel in the yolk and nothing more. One of the eggs was a mature looking chick :-( Well the hens came over, excitedly, to the compost pile and ate up the rotten eggs, INCLUDING the baby chick. It was so disgusting. I didn't think that chickens would be cannibals. It was quite disturbing seeing a hen eat a baby!

2. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Just my personal experiences on this (i've never set eggs under a broody hen so i'm don't know about them eating a baby chick but) i'm pretty sure it's ok for them to eat the fertilized eggs, i mean my hens go absolutely crazy bonkers over a broken egg and just about kill eachother trying to get some yoke, but anyways i've had my hens and roo kill a chick before so I guess, seeing how much they love eggs, it doesn't suprise me that they'd go after it seeing that it was dead... sorry for the traumatic experience... BTW i've never had a hen purposely break open an egg just to eat it, so i think the way they think is "well i don't want it to go to waste and i could use the nutrients..." something like that... hope that helped a little

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by