GROSS! Horse eye parasites! Eeew!

chickbea

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Vermont
Well, ick! I thought I'd seen every parasite I was ever likely to see, but I saw a new one this morning! ICK, ICK, ICK!

I was feeding one of the horses I take care of, when I saw a long white string go across her eyeball. I thought at first it was an oddly shaped eye goober, but sure enough, when I tried to remove it, it was a worm!
ep.gif
Oh, have mercy! Abdominal parasites are nasty enough, but something about the thought of an eyeball parasite is intolerable to me. My poor Bo! The vet is on his way as we speak, but they can't be gone soon enough for me! Gack!
tongue.gif

Has anyone else ever had these? I read that ivermectin is not effective but fenbendazole is - ?

Oh there are WAY worse things.............................

My horse has horrible scars on her face from flies laying EGGS in there - and EVERY year its the same story - she's apparently VERY popular with flies, last year I was PICKING out fly lava - - - - ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

ANd she wears a mask, I put all kinds of spray and goop on her face, and I wipe clean and re-apply TWICE a day - and they STILLLL get in!!!!!

Last edited:
Yes; I have been on my computer all morning finding out all sorts of appalling things. Namely, one study cited that upwards of 70% of horses in N. America may be carrying these worms! Eeeee!

The worm most likely to be causing the trouble seems to be Thelazia lacrymalis. Adult flies are attracted to occular secretions. Horses are generally asymptomatic (as Bo was), other than slightly increased tearing from the eyes, which can come from so many causes it is certainly not proof in itself of infection. Most cases are discovered during autopsy for other reasons, or, as happened to me, I was looking at her eye just as the worm went swimming past the cornea.

I'm afraid of what dreams I may have tonight!
smile.png

Texaschickmama - I saw that show also - I almost went to my doctor and asked to be wormed myself I got so freaked out. There are WAY too many parasites out there!

EDIT: Another symptom can be weight loss. Interestingly, despite copious amounts of supplemental feed, we have had a chronic problem keeping weight on Bo, which we have always attributed to her being a 25 year old Thoroughbred. Maybe getting rid of the worms will fatten up the old girl a bit!

Last edited:
Quote:
Nasty eh? Are those two the eye worm thingie and flies related?

My horse was a rescue, and her scars have closed up that tube thingie that goes from the eye to the nasal cavity - so her eyes CONSTANTLY leak - which in turn attracts more and more flies - its a horrible circle, with no way out!

Back
Top Bottom