Gross Household Discovery

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    So I've had a throat injury and also severe Laryngitis. Went to the doctor who gave me meds, and also several suggestions, one of which was to use a humidifier. I don't own one, but I had one once and emptying it and cleaning it was annoying. So I decided to go the old fashioned way, and put a huge pot of water on simmer on my stove and let the steam put moisture into the air. So I've had it on the stove steaming all day yesterday and today, shutting it off of course when I go to sleep.

I live in tiny cottage, so it didn't take long for all my windows and everything else in sight to steam up and get condensation. Then today I decided to add a small clip-on fan to the kitchen, to push some of the steam out of the kitchen and into the other rooms. As I was looking around for a place to clip it, I discovered brown liquid dripping from my window edges, ceiling vent, recessed lighting, etc. Just gross brown drips, everywhere.

I immediately thought of nicotine, having cleaned out my mother's house after years of her smoking, and I remember wiping BROWN off every surface. When I bought this house last year I didn't notice any of this brown residue, and didn't smell any signs of the former owners being smokers.

So I'm not sure if there were smokers here before me, and only now, due to all the steam is it surfacing, or if it's just dirt?! Although it's a very yellow-ish brown, so I'm suspecting nicotine.

So, just thought I'd share that not only am I getting lots of moisture for my throat and house plants, I'm also doing a bit of early spring cleaning running around like a lunatic with paper towels wiping off brown drippings from everything! LOVELY. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Talk about the dangers of second hand smoking. Good luck with the clean up.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Didn't your previous male friend smoked in the house before you kicked him out? He must have been smoking while you were gone to work.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's probably dirt. That said... careful with saturating air to the point where walls and windows rain or you'll have a mold problem very quickly. Here in the PNW, mold is everywhere and can make people sick when mold ends up in the walls where you can't see it and clean it up right away. Some schools a few years back were wrapped and de molded because it was making students sick.

5. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I've got brown sticky gunk on the top of my cabinets in the kitchen and really focused over the stove area...I bet it's just from cooking. It is yucky and hard to get off though. No smokers in my house hold ever...bein in my childhood home.

6. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:No, I let him smoke out a cracked window for 2 days and then when I realized how much he smoked I made him smoke outside the rest of the time so I wouldn't keep losing heat out the window. I don't work in the winter, so I was here the whole time, so I know that couldn't be it. It's everywhere!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    UGH!

I had a beautiful off white kitchen and now it's turning tan. We are not smokers and we figured it has to be the pollution in the air. It was nasty!

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thank you, but I'm not too worried about a few days of condensation as it is EXTREMELY dry in my house. I have a woodstove and get bloody noses often from the dry air. So no mold worries here. It'll only be for a couple of days to moisten my throat.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My house is so dry that everything crackles! [​IMG]

10. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Hmmm... could be from cooking; hadn't thought of that. It is mostly in the kitchen, although that's where the steaming water is too, so I wonder if the same thing would happen if it were in the other rooms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by