gross olive looking object found it egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cockadolittle, Jul 17, 2010.

1. cockadolittle

cockadolittle New Egg

Jul 17, 2010
    [​IMG] One of my girls laid this yesterday. It's pretty gross and I'm not sure if she is sick or if this is just a flukly egg. I had one of her sister mates die last week suddenly for no apparent reason . What do you think? It looks kind of like an olive but when we were finally able to poke the sac this greenish liquid came out Yuck! I'm a little afraid of eating her eggs now.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have no idea what that is- and I sure wouldn't eat it!! I hope somebody has an idea. That is pretty dramatic- I would change your title to get some more attention. Good luck!

3. blake101

blake101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Bump, does anyone have a idea what this is?

4. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    ew gross! I am giving you a bump up because this is disturbing.

5. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    I don't know, but.

It kind of reminds me of a century egg, or in the process of becoming one. The green thing is in WITH the yoke, right? That's one egg? I'd say it might be an extra yoke that somehow just got affected?

Words that come out at me regarding anything green doing with eggs is sulfur, ammonia, salt/sodium.

Ew. I wish you had a pic of the green slime that came out, lol.

PS just found this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=374302

Greenish yolks
    Acorns and the annual weed shepherdÂ’s purse can both have the effect of turning the yolks green. Check the pasture and rake if necessary.​

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  6. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Just wanted to bump it again, just in case something else is out there. But do you live by Oak trees?

7. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ooh, that is nasty. I'd really like to know what caused that. It looks like it's separate from the yolk, maybe tissue from inside the chicken? I really hope you get an answer.Please update us when she lays again!

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]
    I don't know what's wrong, but I'd be checking my eggs very carefully if I were you from now on!

9. Berkshiremom

Berkshiremom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Western MA
    bump......cause i really want to know the answer too!!!

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ok ok I think I "might" know...It has something to do with what you might be feeding them--it changes the yolks color to green/olive color..There was a thread on this very same thing last week...hmmmm Ill see if I can find it-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by