Gross poop pics- need some advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tammymcl, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Tammymcl

Tammymcl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    I went out to my coop today to find my favorite chicken standing by herself in the coop. She was all fluffed up and didn't even try to eat the cracked corn or dried meal worms that I offered. Her crop is squishy to the point of making noise when I massage it. Her appetite is almost not existence. Her vent is clean and dry, no lice or mices to be seen and obvious dehydration. I brought her into my laundry room where its warm and dry. After massaging her squishy, noisy crop, I noticed a hard mass near the bottom of her crop. She finally pooped a white foamy poop with some green which I assume is from the grass she ate today. . Her crop doesn't smell bad. Any ideas? I hate to lose her [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

1. How old is she?
    2. Are there any other chickens acting sick?
    3. What breed is she?
    Try to give her some water through an eyedropper or other small syringe. I would stop massaging her crop. If it's empty, it's empty. If you look up how to ferment feed, make a tiny batch of it and put a little in her beak. Not a lot, you don't want to stress her out.
    Feel around her abdomen. She might be egg bound or laying internally, especially if she is an older, more high producing breed.
    I hope she gets better [​IMG]

3. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    1. How old is she? 18 months
    2. Are there any other chickens acting sick? No
    3. What breed is she? Appenzeller/Cochin mix
    Try to give her some water through an eyedropper or other small syringe. I would stop massaging her crop. If it's empty, it's empty. If you look up how to ferment feed, make a tiny batch of it and put a little in her beak. Not a lot, you don't want to stress her out. 
    Feel around her abdomen. She might be egg bound or laying internally, especially if she is an older, more high producing breed. I don't think she's egg bound. I checked her cloaca and didn't feel anything.
    I hope she gets better :( me too

Thank you for your reply! Worried chicken lady here!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  4. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    Another poop- more green this time with white caseous blobs. Could it be clostridium? Hen is drinking if I give it to her in a syringe. She has had some clicking noises when she breathes. I've read several threads (especially casportpony's contributions). Unfortunately, I'm more confused than ever:(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  5. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

6. PeepersMama

I totally get worrying over "just a chicken." The last time one of mine died I slept on the couch so I could be near her, and set alarms through the night to check on her. But, I slept through them all, woke up at 2:30 (which wasn't an alarm - thanks God!), and rigor mortis had just started setting in. When I found her dead I had already cried all the tears she deserved before I fell asleep.

Hmmm... I've never heard of clostridium, but it sounds interesting from the 2 minute wiki search I did. Respiratory diseases are very good at confusing people. I am experiencing that right now.
    Is she trying to move at all? Could you post a picture of her "sick bay set-up?"

7. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    I will post a pic when I get home for lunch. This morning she was eating and drinking on her own, a bit more energy but still was hunched down and forward.

8. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    I forgot to mention that I started her on Corid last night. I also gave her 2 drops of undiluted Corid in her beak. She has been a broody hen and was still raising her 3mon chick until I took her out of the coop. She hadn't started laying again. I wondering if it's maybe egg yolk peritonitis?

9. PeepersMama

It might be. I've got an internal layer right now too. [​IMG] The rotten booger.
    I've never used any medicines in my flock before (besides vetrycin for wounds). Mostly cuz Dad would rather cull a sickie than [​IMG] actually spend money to save it!!! Who does THAT, right!?!?!?
    A picture would help a lot.

10. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    Wow, 51 views and only 1 person responds. I am definitely not feeling the love right now. [​IMG]

Thank you, peepers for your responses. [​IMG]

I was going to put this in casportpony's poop thread since it had so much activity but I didn't want to highjack her thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by