Gross problem! Help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jessierose, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    I am so sorry to ask this but it is grossing me right out. I moved my flock into their new house today and cleaned up around their old one. In the process, of course I came in contact with a great deal of chicken poo.
    Well, now, after washing them 4 times AND taking a shower AND scrubbing them raw....I can still smell chicken poo on them!
    WHAT GETS RID OF IT???

HELP!

(And again, sorry to be so gross.)

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    gross??? we talk about chicken poo all thetime on here!
    check the bottom of your shoes!

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    You're talking about your hands, right? Not your hens! (I had this vision of chickens getting multiple baths, feathers flying, etc...) Try gasoline (on your HANDS!) gets rid of anything, and you certainly won't smell poo afterwards!

4. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Chicken poo smell is bad, but swine smell is wayyyyy worse. Trust me! I'd take 5+ showers and my roommate would still complain. After a week of complaints after traveling to the swine center at school, my swine teacher solved my problem.

Citrus!!! I love oranges so that was my choice, but she said any citrus would do the job. I'd leave a bag of oranges in the shower, and just cut one open for each shower. Just squeeze the juice all over you and you're all set.

Hope it helps!

5. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    No shoes on in the house and no, not bathing the birds! ha. Funny to picture, though!
    I am going to give them a scrub with Orange Magic and hope for the best. Gas would hurt on my poor scraped up hands! I am never without banged up knuckles, scrapes, cuts, bruises. Guess my dream job of hand modeling is out! It's ok. They wouldn't like the poo-smell anyway!
    Thanks, y'all!

6. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a saline rinse of your sinuses. I had this problem working in the hospital with GI bleeders. Gross smelling feces. Would still smell it after showering. Its stuck up in your sinus cavities! [​IMG]

7. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    2 words for next time: rubber gloves :)

8. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Hey Airilith
    Chicken poo smell is bad, but swine smell is wayyyyy worse. Trust me! I'd take 5+ showers and my roommate would still complain. After a week of complaints after traveling to the swine center at school, my swine teacher solved my problem.

Citrus!!! I love oranges so that was my choice, but she said any citrus would do the job. I'd leave a bag of oranges in the shower, and just cut one open for each shower. Just squeeze the juice all over you and you're all set.

I looked at your BYC page and see you're a Hokie. Did you go to school at Va Tech and take the swine program there? How long ago? My DH worked in the Swine Center for several years, about 4 years ago.

9. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Old fashioned remedy for getting fish smell off your hands after going fishing is toothpaste. We've done it and it seems to work. Has to be the white paste though.

10. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Quote:Don't put gasoline on your hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by