gross question about chicken poop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pdxblossom, Oct 31, 2010.

1. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Our small flock free ranges the yard for at least a few hours each day. They are fed a consistent, organic grower mix with no corn and no soy. They get a "treat" almost every day - BOSS, oatmeal, eggs, greens, vegetable scraps are the norm.

Their droppings are fairly consistent in color and form. However, I noticed late last week that their droppings were especially runny and greenish in color. Then, for the last four days, they seem especially dark, firm and with some strange white substance on them. It almost looks like dog poop that has started to calcify it it's been out too long.

My question . . . does anyone know why it changes so much (diet driven, obviously) from day to day - is this a sign my chickens are getting too much or too little of something? Should I get worried when it swings so much one way to the other?

Thanks!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yes, their dropping change depending upon what they have eaten.

This link has great pictures showing poop, how much it can change and still be "normal" http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Sometimes
    it can be startling. Many, many years ago I gave our new African Grays some blueberries. [​IMG] Their dropping were all blue for awhile. [​IMG]

3. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Now THAT was helpful. Gross, but helpful. [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

It is gross [​IMG] but you are right, it has helped me too.

The marvels of chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by