Gross situation with my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jcfarmmom, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jcfarmmom

Jcfarmmom New Egg

Feb 9, 2010
    My 5 year old hen has a "growth" below her vent that is collecting maggots and flies and she seems very swollen. I have washed her off several times with the hose, trying to make her more comfortable. I know I will lose her, but I want to know what this is. She just started laying again about a month ago, so wondering if it is a impacted egg? I can handle pretty much any gross animal situation, but this one is a tough one. She has a bad odor also. Any ideas?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Sounds like prolapse to me - if she's that ill that she's collecting maggots, she's been that way awhile. Even if you can get it to go back in, they typically will keep prolapsing. Can you humanely put her down so she's no longer suffering? If not, please find someone who can. I'm very sorry!

3. Jcfarmmom

Jcfarmmom New Egg

Feb 9, 2010
    I was afraid of that. [​IMG] She is a Barred Rock and the best layer I had and so sweet! I can put her down. Thank you, for the info. I have so much to learn, still!!

4. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

That is awful, I'm sorry.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    There is a type of fly that lays eggs in the vent, and causes maggots, etc. Look it up before you cull her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by