Gross Treat but my Chickens loved it!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by m_shuman, Jul 11, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I was turning my compost pile today and thought wow the chickens would love all of the worms in this so I put a scoop in their treat pan. They loved it!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Worms are yummy! Um....at least my chickens think so! I have a log that i lift for them and there's always some yummy worms under it, and sometimes a few little tiny salamanders. They just gobble them up......

3. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    We've been scooping maggots/grubs/something out of our compost bin for a little while now. I hope it's ok for them! But, yeah, I feel disgusting getting them.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I use old nylon feed bags for brooder liners instead of shavings. Every day or every other day I have to take them out and clean the tubs and put fresh ones back down so the old ones I put in a pile at the bottom of my water ditch below the barn.
    Gross it may be but I go down the day after a rain (which lately is every day!)and turn over those bags and there are piles of maggots from all sorts of bugs in there. My 75+ chickens go nuts.
    MOF, they have started going down by them selves and turning over the bags!

They get real miffed when I start loading the bags up in the truck to haul off to the dump about once a month. I make sure I shake all the maggots off for them. And I do start a new pile the next day.
    But boy do they get excited the closer I get to the bottom of the pile. The bigger ones are down there from eating all the old chick starter!

They still have yummy eggs and no one has gotten sick so I am sure it is safe enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by