gross vent on chick (new pic 4/6) ** warning: graphic pix **

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meesh, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Hi,

One of my 2~3 wk. old chicks has had a lot of vent problems, starting with pasty butt, then a few days ago some scabs (she picks at own herself). Now the scabs are gone but things don't look right. I've kept her clean, and have been applying ointment 3-4x a day (triple antibiotic). The skin well below the vent is sort of a bluish color as well.

[​IMG]

Additionally, she is the smallest chick of the bunch. She eats and drinks apparently normally. She seems to have some difficulty pooping sometimes.

I wondered about the possibility of parasites or mites or infection? She's such a friendly little thing, if there's anything I can do for her, please let me know. The only treat she's had for several days is a tiny bit of yogurt - 13 chicks split about a TBSP per day mixed in with their chick starter.

I also wonder if she could be allergic to milk or possibly to the topical antibiotic salve? I tried olive oil, and it didn't look like it was doing as much good as the antibiotics.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like her yolk hasn't completly absorbed. I had a br I hatched and the intestines eventually fell out. I really hope I'm completely wrong about this. Good luck

3. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    If it was her yolk...wouldn't it be more towards her mid stomach and not her vent? Or am I totally wrong? I've never seen anything like this, so I am sorry if it's wrong of me to ask questions on your post....

4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Why are you giving the chick milk ? Could cause runny poo and other problems .[​IMG]

5. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    A chicks "umbelical cord" is more toward the rump. Not toward the center of the stomach area like mammals.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:Milk is in yogurt.

7. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I would put a drop or two of Listerine on it,
    It is safe and is a wicked germ killer.

"NOT MINTY SCOPE" The real yellowish nasty tasteing stuff

No I'm not a Doctor/Vet and I don't even play one on TV.

8. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Yea, I would kind of the the cultures in the yogurt would be combating the antibiotics...
    I think treats need to wait until she's older, especially if she is exhibiting any problems. I NEVER would have thought of the listerine, but thought makes alot of sense.
    Also, crazy as it may sound I, personally, have seen alot of good w/apple cider vinegar....mix 1 tblspn per gallon of water.

9. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] I am sorry you are having these problems.But I had one just about 6wks ago.It was right when it was born.But I put neosporin on it and kept it on it and kept the chick by itself and irt soon got well.But it was not nearly that bad.Then I just had another one that was living real good and could not get out of shell and its cord was stuck to its shell,and I tried real careful to help it out and I accidentally cut it too short,but the yolk and everthing on its inside was coming out and I could not handle that.
    I think I would contact a vet,better safe than sorry.They can tell you what to do and won`t charge probably anything.Good Luck,I am really sorry!!!!! Sandra

10. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Yes, they are not getting milk except for the little bit in the TBSP of yogurt that they share.

re: Yogurt - I have read on breeder's sites that small amounts are recommended for chicks for the probiotic content. The larger chicks snarf more of it than she does, and they are fine. I don't think that small of an amount could cause a problem itself unless she's allergic to it.

The yellowish stuff to me looks like softened up scabs. If you have ever had a scab and put on antibiotic ointment - then put a bandaid over it - it looks like that. But the vent itself looks swollen.

Maybe Prep H would dry it out and help it heal up better than triple antibiotic? I am not so opposed to listerine, but I'd think the alcohol would really sting that scabby stuff. I could try betadine surgical scrub.

I have read that chicks can be constipated. Could she be constipated from eating a wood chips? I'd think passing woodchips might not do her vent any good.

Cheers,
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by