Gross

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sonoran Silkies, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My dog and cats caught lots of roof rats last year... We've done MAJOR yard cleanup to help get rid of them. Haven't seen any in ages, although I still see an occasional hollowed out citrus (but not often).

So...early this week I found a dead gopher in the pool. Yesterday found a partially eaten gopher on the front sidewalk. Half an hour ago I found a largely decomposed gopher near the back wall. And 5 minutes ago I found half of a head (still quite fresh) plus some sort of organ on the back porch. I *think* it's gopher, not rat, but not enough to say for certain.

YUCK!!!!

We have lived here for eleven and a half years and have never had a gopher on our property, although other neighbors have had them!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    double gross.

But when fresh, good on the BBQ! [​IMG]

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Sorry Laree but triple gross [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    By all means, Laree--come set your traps. I'll pass on dinner, though.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I'll bring some ranch dressing for dipping....mmmmmmm....

6. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Maybe the dogs are retrieving them from the neighbor's yard?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    One dog; she can't get to neighbors' yards--all the yards have block walls. One of the cats could be bringing them in from the bridle path, though--they are expert at scaling the 8' wall. I haven't seen any mounds in the yard, which would indicate that they are tunneling IN our yard.

8. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    eww! we dont have a gopher issue here, we have moles.My dogs dig up my yard trying to get the moles worse than the moles tunnels do sadly.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    If they are turning up dead your neighbor may be poisoning them. I think that because of the one in the pool. The most common poisons make them very thirsty, they drink, they die.

10. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Quote:Eeewwww! Well, at least for some reason they are dying before having a chance to tunnel up your yard. Perhaps you have a cat that is bringing you gifts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by