Grossest thing I've seen the chickens eat yet

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
PICKLED FLIES!!

I made one of those homemade fly traps using vinegar, water, and sugar in August. Today I dumped it out and the chooks went wild eating the month-old pickled flies.
sickbyc.gif

Gross
Gross
Gross
Gross
Gross
Gross
Gross

That is by-far the nastiest thing I've seen them eat to date.

You have just made your chickens a delicacy!

Folks will be flocking to you soon for the recipe so that their chickens can be so blessed....

Sorry you got grossed out, but it made me smile... you are just a chicken chef!

I guess I made their flies the same way I made my pickles: I let them ferment for a month in the brine!

Ew ew gross nasty disgusting gag barf retch

Today my middle son was getting some dirt from a part of the yard, he found at least 60 grubs, the Delightful Dozen loved it - such a protein feast!
Humm, are they still "vegetarian fed"? Do I have to reveal all the protein they get if it a natural source?

yuckyuck.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
LOL
gig.gif

Ya that's gross, but not as gross as when our chickens ate several of those weird white grubs with the orange heads and they kill grass! I was gathering grass for our pullets to eat and I found one of those Japanese Beatle grubs(a.k.a their "babies".) after pulling up a large lump of grass. It has big pincers and was huge! I picked it up with a stick and brought it to the girls, and when they saw it, they freaked out and grabbed it! They fought over it a bit, then scarfed it down! LOL really really nasty!
sickbyc.gif

This is what they look like:
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/PAT/cat3/3fig49.gif
http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/BeetleJapaneseGrub01.jpg

EW EW EW EW EW!!!!!! GIVES ME THE CREEPS!!!
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
th.gif
ep.gif

Take an empty 2 liter bottle and cut it in half. Turn the top half upside down so it creates a funnel. Fill the bottom half with a mixture of water, white vinegar, and sugar. The trap will attract flies and they won't be able to escape.

As an added bonus, apparently it makes delicious piclked flies for the chooks.

Back
Top Bottom