Grotty looking frizzle

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Badhbh, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I have a lone tiny Frizzle in the brooder.. she's the smallest chick, and she just looks ratty.. half bald on her back, and really thin down. She's not getting pecked at- I haven't seen any evedence, and her skin is fine. There's just not much down. do frizzles look shaggy in general? Are they slow to mature? The rest of the chicks that were hatched at the same time have almost all their wing feathers and some on their backs. Frizzgig has like one row of wing feathers and that's it.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mine was slower than the others to feather. It didn't help that because of the different feathers he was singled out to be picked on.

I hope your frizzle didn't end up with the double frizzle gene, that makes their feathers very brittle and easy to break.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    thats normal- some times then you need to mate a frizzle with a straight feather and you will get a more filled out frizzle, plus some straight feathered ones- somehow thats the way the genes work on frizzle

added: yea shes probably really fast too

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. Ilikechickens!

Ilikechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    COLARADO
    post some pics.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If your frizzle came from a hatchery it may be the product of both parents being frizzled. This sort of mating will produce some very nice frizzles and some that are called Frazzles. The presence of two copies of the Frizzle gene will cause the feathers to be overly brittle and they will break or they dont' grow in at all in some cases. There are often organ problems with these chicks as well. Hatchery Frizzles are often bred Frizzle to Frizzle.

There is no reason for a healthy Frizzle chick to take any longer to feather out than any other chick. At two weeks you will see the wing feathers turn out. [​IMG]

This is a picture of two birds hatched out of a Frizzle breeding you can see at three weeks both are feathering out nicely

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Jaynie explained it very well...and isn't there something about they should never be mated to another frazzle or bred? or am I mistaken?

7. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Dont worry, here is what one of mine looked like and it feathered out fine, just took a heck of a long time and boy was it pathetic looking..LOL Also you should always breed a frizzle to a straight feathered bird, other wise if you breed frizzle to frizzle you can get what is called frazzled and the feathers are not very healthy. Jenn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    It is more than likely, like the bird pictured above, a curly. The parents of the bird were both frizzles hince the feathers are very wispy looking and very fragile. Not good for the bird at all if not cared for properly.

~Casey

9. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'll get a picture of the poor girl tomorrow [​IMG]
    It's a straight-to-frizzle breeding. I know the person who hatched her [​IMG]

10. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    hmm if its straight to frizzle you should have a healthy set of feathers. My guess would be its simply a late bloomer. I used to have a frazzle (frizzle-and Frizzle) her feathers were brittle and she had a hard time keeping warm. always had bald spots at her wing joints and on her back at times. But if yours is a Straight-Frizzle that should help fix the problem. It will probabally start to fill in soon. if it stays the same i would reccomend seperating it for a week just to make shure the other chicks are not pecking at it. once they see bald spots they will keep pecking and pulling and end up getting huge bald spots.

Hope this helps

Mitch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by