1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

grouchy hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sherrihargrove, Nov 19, 2014.

1. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    one of my hens not yet laying has started attacking my shoes everytime I go into the coop. Has she lost her mind?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She may be hormonal and close to laying. Sometimes, before they start laying, my pullets get a bit moody, but once the eggs start showing up, they calm down again.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    x2 on what Sumi said. One of our RSL's went nuts shortly before she began laying. Got to the point I was nervous going into the run & coop because she would peck me so hard. She calmed down quite a bit once she started laying and now is much more gentle when she wants attention. Hopefully yours is going through the same phase and calms down with laying.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What do you mean by "attacking"? Is the hen coming up and flogging your shoes and ankles, wings flapping and neck feathers flared? That would be attacking, and it could indicate she's feeling threatened by you. Or she finds something extremely offensive about your foot wear.

If she's just pecking at your shoes, that could indicate a lot of different things. Hens peck shoes when they see something on them that grabs their attention, such as a shiny feature. Or she could be seeing something on your shoe she believes is edible. Or she could simply be trying to get your attention. Chickens communicate, as well as gather information, with their beaks.

Which one are we talking about?

5. Just sayin

Just sayin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Are you sure she's a hen?

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've been beaten up by a few hens. They can be just as mean as cockerels if they've a mind too. Especially when they are broody.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The word “attack” conjures up some pretty strong images. Maybe a bit better description of what she is actually doing could help. In addition to the other questions, is it just one certain pair of shoes or maybe a certain pair of pant legs instead attacking no matter what you are wearing?

A bit about your flock might help too. Are they all the same age? Any fairly mature males? Is she the dominant chicken in there?

8. Just sayin

Just sayin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    I've no doubt it can happen, but since this is a young bird I wondered if it's reaching the age when we realize it is not a hen at all :)

9. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    she is def. a hen, and has a red face eyes comb and waddle not laying yet but prob soon i carry a stick not to hit but to show i can she and the rooster got the message when they both flew up to it. i didn't them they hit the stick then they left me alone to finish what I was doing. the rooster follows me to the gate and as i leave he jumps with both feet at the gate. He is a jerk. my husband is building a "pimp palace" he will be separated used only to breed until he can be replaced. a black australorp.

10. topdog24

topdog24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    Jena Louisiana,
    If you have shoes with colored shoe strings or other color patch's, especially bright like red,orange yellow bright green,blue purple, your chicken is sataisfiying it curiosity, you should never wear red beause they relate red to open wounds and will attack anything red as they see red as a weaknes among the flock, for instance, if you have chickens that get picked on till there is raw red wound, this only makes them pick more and try to destroy the weak link in their society, this is why it is so important to cover open wounds with blue lotion or some dark color salve, Roosters are worse than hens about this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by