1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ground corn husks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Mar 27, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    What is everyone's take on ground corn husks? Ive been working on a brooder and I'm almost ready to introduce some chicks to it. I have tile board floors inside on the bottom and think that might be too slick. Even though it makes cleaning easier. I don't want to cause any injuries to the chicks' developing legs. A friend mentioned using paper towels and then putting grounded up corn husks to soak up moisture. What is everyone's take on this? Ive never been good with keeping chicks. I usually leave it up to the hens. But this time I don't have any hens to rely on.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Are corn husks a good replacement for pine shavings? [​IMG] I have no idea. But if they're absorbent & not slippery, they'll be fine.

You'll want to cover them for the first day with paper towels, which helps prevent spraddle leg.

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I usually start the chickie on cheap drawer liner (learned it here) over pine shavings. I don't know much about the shredded cornhusks, but it should work.

4. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Another silly question. But how do you keep the paper towels from sliding around? I know chicks can get pretty playful at times. Expecially if there is a lot of them. Does anyone use anything to help keep the paper towels in place? Another person told me to get some acctual towels and put them down. Something I don't mind getting dirty and throwing away later.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Corn cobs are NOT absorbent and they go to mold nearly immediately. They're actively dangerous as litter for birds.

Shavings or pellets. See the shavings thread.

I use actual towels the first day. They wash, they're absorbent, I KNOW they're clean and that I can disinfect them between uses, they have no ingredients I know nothing about - papertowels do. They're also great traction, kind to feet and inedible.

Good luck with the babies.

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    [​IMG] thanks for the advice. I will stir away from cob grounds then. I haven't got the chicks yet. I'm one of those that make sure everything is ready for launch before I dive in.

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I had newspaper down first than paper towels on top of that for the first several day. Lay the newspaper down in a way that you can just roll it up when ready to clean. I had no problem with them sliding. When they poop enough it will stick the papers together. Then as they get older I put in shredded paper. They love it! Have fun!

BTW [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Acctually I think I will go with this. It seems to be perfect for baby chicks in my opinion. Its shelf liners. Non-slip. Water proof, and would be easy to clean. Just hang it up outside and spray it with the water hose then let it dry for a few minutes. I can get a roll big enough to have enough to put down then enough left over out of the roll to put down while washing and drying the dirty one.

[​IMG]

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I use that in my incubator for when they hatch. It also goes in the washer for clean up.

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    [​IMG] Im going to go with it in a pink color lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by