1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ground cover for a winter run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ajlynco, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I have 12 chicks and winter's comin'. I'd like to cover the ground in my run with something to keep it from becoming a mudhole. I'm thinking sand, gravel, DG. Any ideas? I can keep a good portion of the rain/snow out but it's inevitably gonna make it's way in there. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I throw down before winter the sleeper and coop shavings in the run and spread it. Spring comes snow melts and it is there. [​IMG]

3. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Where are you? The severity of your winter may effect the advice people give.

4. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I'm in Reno,NV. and my concern is the run, not the coop. I plan on wrapping the run in plastic on 3 sides to break the wind and the roof will keep the rain/snow out. I just don't want the girls to be walking around in mud. So, gravel, hay, sand, pine chips?? What works for you BYCers with experience with this? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I put down leaves from my trees. The girls love it, it's free, and it's better than the mud. Just my opinion [​IMG]

6. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Since I have a yard full of trees and therefore more leaves than I can compost run gets filled with leaves. And I mean filled. To me leaves are the mulch for flower beds, compost, run material, nest box material, insulation around cold sensitive plants, etc. yea it's a lot of trees but would not dream of giving up any in the summer.

7. jmlorton

jmlorton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Lexington, KY
    i use the hay from inside the coop and leaves its keeps the ground fairly dry and the mud away

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Any of the above are better than mud. In winter chickens miss having a dust bath and will usually do it in the shavings in the coop.
    I build most coops on legs to give them a cool place in summer and dry dust bathing area in winter under the coop.
    Shavings and straw in the run need to be replenished from time to time. Sand is good as it can be sifted and doubles for dustbaths. Lots of people say gravel but I think it would be hard to get the poo out of. At least the straw/leaves/shavings can be pulled out and composted occasionally.

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm using leaves and it's shocking how fast they shred them with their scratching. I just put a big pile in as needed and they have a fun time spreading them around for me. Works great for mud control and you can't beat free! If you don't have enough leaves, you can ask on Freecycle and probably get more than a couple of people who wouldn't mind you coming over for a rake & take of their leaves and/or pine needles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by