ground cover for chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pattyl110, Aug 9, 2011.

1. pattyl110

pattyl110 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Hi,

I have 4 beauitful girls that are now 5 months old. Just started getting eggs, 3-4 per day, a few weeks ago. When I started out, I have the coup on my side fenced yard that had florida ferns all over. I didn't know that chickens loved ferns so much. Now I just have sandy dirt. They don't mind the dust or dirt, but I want something nicer to look out my kitchen window. Is there anykind of ground cover that they wont eat?[​IMG]

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I do love my new pets, but want to have a nicer area for them.

Patty Leslie
    Dunedin, fl

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Unfortunately, what they don't eat they scratch to death. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think whatever you replant you will have to block with chicken wire - they seem to like to sample everything. Mine don't bother my hostas, but they have over 2 acres of greenery to roam among, so that's probably why. I doubt they would go after holly, just because the leaves are so thick, but holly doesn't look too Florida-ish...lol

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Mine free range with plenty of grasses and clover, and they still take bites out of my hostas. My son's cactus was free game too when I brought it outside for a bit of summer sunshine. THe buggers!

5. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    mine have destroyed any plants around my house so unfortunately nope [​IMG]

6. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I have pots covered with 2 X 4 welded wire. I make a cylinder with a top on it. I've planted lavender and mints. The girls eat the leaves, but they can't scratch it to death. And I've heard it helps prevent worms. Then spread sand over pea gravel, add the pots. It isn't ground cover, but it isn't bad to look at. The girls get to peck and you have something nice to look at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by