Ground cover for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scribbleuk, Feb 27, 2013.

1. scribbleuk

scribbleuk New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi All,

I'm in the process of designing our new duck coop and run, and would appreciate your advice on ground cover for the run. The coop and pond will be enclosed in the run, and as fas as possible I would like to avoid a mud bath on the ground.

We have used sand in several of our chicken runs very effectively even during our wet winters. Would sand be suitable for a duck run or is there a better alternative?

Thanks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm thinking for ducks sand would be like dirt in no time, they love to dabble and although sand is better at drainage than dirt for sure, around our pools I put down the heavy duty ground cloth then brought in the round river rocks to put around on top then put the pool down, it been there for over a year and works great,. they can't get their bills down to the dirt so they can't mix the rocks and dirt together so the river rocks stay in place. and because the rocks are round with no points they don't injure their feet.

3. scribbleuk

scribbleuk New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi - Sorry forgot to say we put the sand down on top of ground cover in the chicken runs, and planned to do the same in the duck run. Do you think it would still get as muddy?

4. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Im in the process of designing my duck run too, would like to hear this. :)

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If there is a source of dirt, earth, sand etc they will make it muddy. Its what they do. They will get in the pool and splash and flap and send water in a 10-20' radius from the pool. They will then play in that water. A thick layer of gravel (rounded egded) would be the ideal for a duck run.

6. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    My set up sounds complex but it works very well for us. We have 2 10x20 chain link dog kennels bottom 4 ft covered with hardware cloth so is the top then we have heavy duty tarps for rain snow wind and sun protection we then added 2x4s running on top like beams w/ support legs to hold the wait of rain snow etc. till I can push water off and front back and sides covered with tarps as well which I raise on nice days always leaving front tarp free. This is the winter set up whole floor of 10x20 covered with 2 cheap tarps than shavings are placed thick they have a house in back of lot for extra protection from wind (which they rarely use) they get no lot pools in winter due to freezing overnight they have pools they use when their out of the lots during day I do have several buckets of water for them to drink and clean faces in the run It does get a little wet near the buckets but that's ducks. I clean poo daily sorta like a big cat litter box than i fluff shavings occasionally adding more shavings they stay dry and warm in the winter. Summer set up in half of the run we remove shavings and one tarp exposing their stepping stones we then place their mini kiddie pools back in and remove side tarps for this section only leaving the back half in shavings and tarped for shade and a break from hard stepping stones which is hard on their feet if on them at all times all the waterers and pools are placed far enough away that the shavings in back of run remain dry I hose off poo on stepping stones daily aiming water toward front corner where we have shallow trench built this helps with stagnant messes. The ducks have no way of drilling in sum or winter in run but very much enjoy their set up and it's much easier to maintain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by