Ground cover in duck pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sadies chicks, Jun 29, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    What does everyone have as ground cover in their duck pen? Currently I have dirt.... aka MUD..... and am thinking of going to pea gravel. What is the best for ducks and their feet? I need something that drains since I am in Oregon and it rains and rains and rains. I can't get the ducks in a dry enough area and am thinking if at least the ground is dry-ish it would be beneficial. The ducks are constantly dirty and I want them to be able to clean off.

2. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I use pea gravel, it drains fairly fast and my ducks don't make mud holes like they would in dirt if it does get wet. I am really pleased with the odorless, easy clean up, and they are very, very tidy! Make sure to give them a shady area if pea gravel is all they have; the summer heat may make it unpleasent to waddle on.

3. DuckWhisperer

DuckWhisperer New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    What size are the gravel pieces? They don't try to eat it?

4. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Does pea gravel keep the flies down as well? We have grass and mud right now. I try and keep it as dry as possible with ducks but the flies are terrible right now.

5. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Ok great, I will try the pea gravel, thanks! I may work with it a bit to see what works best, I am thinking of pea gravel in the pool/food area and pine shavings or just plain dirt in their sleeping area so they have a soft place too. Half of thier pen is covered so no worries on the shade (as if I need to worry about it right now....cloudy and rainy....)

thanks!!

6. louieloui

louieloui Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Quote:I read on BYC that using the tree shaped, vanilla scented (HAS to be VANILLA) car air fresheners work great for keeping flies away. I was skeptical, but tried it in my coop and run and it works like a charm! I haven't tried it in our duck pen, mainly because our ducks (before we rehomed them) were free-ranging at that time, so flies weren't a problem. Given how cheap they are, it's worth a shot!

Oh and I found them at Wal-Mart, although I'm sure they have them elsewhere.

7. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I started with a good playsand base and made the ground level. The sand allowed for great drainage, then I applied straw/hay on top. It's easy to keep clean, I just rake it out once a week. My ducks are free range in my backyard and only go in there to eat or sleep so it stays pretty clean. In the winter, I only change it once a month but apply new hay ontop twice a week. Old hay provides alot of warmth. It's easy to keep clean and pretty care free. Also the ducks don't try to eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by