1. jgiajnorio

jgiajnorio Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi there, I have about 15 birds, looking to add more to our flock, just waiting on the new hen house to come this weekend. I would like to plant some ground cover to help give my girls some shade, cover and forage. We feed our birds just about anything at this time, as well as a layer pellet, so feed isnt my top priority. I would really just like to add some tall grass' for looks and to keep them busy. I was thinking sorghum..id be curious to know your thoughts.

I understand growing is quite difficult to do inside the coop, as my coop sits inside our horse paddock, roughly 3ft away from our electric fence, growing on the outside of the coop is not an option. I plan on putting up a fence to keep my girls from the area i plan to grow until the plants get started.

we do get some decent cover, the first picture is to show what it looks like in the summer, the last two will show our new coop size..without our new house in place..thanks guys

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Whatever you plant will need to be allowed to grow quite a bit before you can let the chickens at it. They will eat almost anything to the ground, if it is tender and small.

Chris

3. jgiajnorio

jgiajnorio Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Thank you, I know what you mean, they quickly devour anything in the coop. I have read ornamental grasses do well, and i know sorghum grows at an astronomical rate, so it may stand a better chance. Its all experimental and for fun, any positive suggestions are helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by