1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ground egg shell or oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gvnam, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    What works better for the egglaying process? Feeding them ground egg shell or oyster shell?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don`t think there is much difference. Egg shells are more work, but cheaper..........Pop

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I use both. I keep oyster available at all times. When I have stacked up enough egg shells I put them in microwave for a few mins. grind them up and add them to the oyster shell dish.

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I use both as well. I learned on here - keep a dish in the oven and toss the egg shells in - they bake when preheating. Then I crush them up and feed it to the hens.

5. nxd10

nxd10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    I haven't given them eggshells (I put them in my compost heap) because I'm worried about them getting used to eating eggs. I suppose grinding them solves the problem. No problem?

6. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    So...if you were to give them access to tons of oyster shells but buy non laying food would they voluntarily eat enough calcium?

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone suggested sticking them in the microwave for 20 seconds or so, to cook any remnant of egg inside and keep the chickens from getting a taste for raw egg.

8. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I use both. But I don't bake my egg shells - I just toss them in a bowl, let them dry out naturally, then crush them to serve to the girls. I've had absolutely no issues with egg eaters.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My egg shells go into my compost too. I have bowls of oyster shells in their coops.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:I do this too. No problems. I have one hen in particular that will not touch oyster shell and needs extra or she lays soft-shelled and then shell-less eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by