Ground nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kangababy, Nov 5, 2010.

1. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    So we have plans for our ground boxes and wanted to use Cypress but we won;t have it in until the end of this month.

in the mean time tempatures are dropping down below freezing this weekend..

has anyone every used Cherry Wood for nesting boxes..
    Is it safe for the birds and how long will it last?

I have no idea why I am worried about them getting cold because no matter how cold it is they stay out on the 48degrees water!

Guess I just want to give them an opition to make myself feel better

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Cold is a relative term. Is it below or above freezing? Below freezing I would worry about frost bite to their feet and I would make sure to put out hay to lay on. Above freezing I would not even worry about it.

3. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    We have a freeze warning for tonight that goes until tomorrow sometime so it will be below freezing for several hours.
    I didn't worry about them last year but they were under a covered enclosure but now they are out in the elements..

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You can lay down a trash bin with hay in it. That way they can get out of the wind and keep their feet warm. You can also build an a-frame with plywood and put hay into it. Otherwise just put down some hay for them to stay on. They will be fine. Ducks can handle up to -20 degrees Fahrenheit with with protection.

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    A north side wind break of woods ,tarp or plywood is good,some of your birds will set in boxes on the ground.You can never have too many nest boxes [​IMG] Most of my boxes are made of unpainted ,untreated plywood most 10yrs old. Cherrywood wont hurt your birds, i dont like cypress becase it tends to crack easily, not to say you cant. Where you are at you are not going to have to worry about any feet freezing on some of your tropical ducks. but I would give em some hay and cover on the ground anyway. Makes them more comfy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by