Ground of chicken yard

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by justlearning, May 9, 2011.

1. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    The coop is done, but we still need to finish the run. We have clay soil so where the run is located is mostly dirt and moss. Never have been able to get grass to grow in this spot. So is it best to put river sand or straw down in the yard? Or is ok for them to hang out in the dirt?

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think its okay for them, but with clay adding sand might be better for you. It could get pretty sloppy if it gets wet in there.

3. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    We have clay soil too so we put in about 4" of sand/paver gravel mix and it drains really well.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    See the "fixing a muddy run" link in my .sig below for pros/cons of different run footing materials (sand, gravel, straw, mulch, etc)

It is very smart of you to be thinking of this now, BEFORE it gets all messed up -- whatever you put in there will stay atop the clay (instead of getting all mixed up with it to make even swampier ground) considerably better when put on hard dryish 'virgin' ground than if you waited til it was already a puddly pockmarked swamp to add it [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by